HD Music Pack for Tiberian Dawn (in-game music)

Lightning Hunter

Command & Conquer Tiberian Dawn and Covert Operations come with low quality, Mono 22kHz AUD files.  This pack replaces all of the in-game music tracks with Stereo, 48kHz, high quality versions.  These tracks were taken from various sources, and are the best quality I could find on the internet. I was able to convert the WAV files to the C&C .AUD format using Blade's awesome new program, Audioset.  Audioset allows Stereo WAV files to be converted to Stereo .AUD files, which are recognized just fine by C&C.

39 Tracks are included, which updates all the music from C&C and Covert Operations, as well as the hidden extra tracks.  Even "Ride of the Valkyries" has a higher quality version, and "I Am" is replaced with the extended original version.

INSTALLATION:

Extract all these files to your main C&C Tiberian Dawn folder.  The music in the game will then be automatically replaced by the high quality versions!

NOTE:  There are 5 tracks in here that now have vocals: Act on Instinct, Stop Them, In Trouble, No Mercy, and Just Do It Up.  I tried to find high quality versions that do NOT have vocals to remain loyal to the tracks that came with C&C, but unfortunately, they do not exist (I contacted Frank Klepacki about this).  As such, I used the only high quality versions available, which have vocals.  If you do NOT like the vocals, you can disable these 5 tracks using the following method:  drag the file "themes.ini" out of the folder called "No Vocals", and overwrite themes.ini in your C&C folder.  Alternatively, you can open up themes.ini, and disable individual files by changing "HasAlternate=Yes" to "HasAlternate=No".  Keep in mind that if you disable the tracks with vocals, the original low quality versions will be used instead.

Download:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/x4fsxdjzr4kp518/C%26C-TD_HD_Music.zip

Here is a youtube video comparison between the original low quality music, and the new HD music:

http://youtu.be/QVxx2a-WW2A

• Like 1

I think its worth noting that the versions with lyrics were as far as I know the ONLY versions on the Saturn edition. The original DOS version (and IIRC the localised C&C95 versions) also contain the lyric versions as hidden extras and they could be enabled by specific lines added to conquer.ini. I don't recall exactly where I heard/read it but I believe that the lyric versions were the intended tracks and that a decision was made higher up that they might confuse players with the regular unit feed back speech and thus were changed.

Also, did you check Kelpacki's Youtube channel? He also has an 38-track playlist for C&C1 on this website:

http://www.frankklepacki.com/portfolio/game-CnC.html

Yes, the menu and victory themes were obtained from there.  Like I said in the first post, there are no tracks missing from this release. 

As for the topic of lyrics/vocals, what Blade says is true (I just didn't feel like typing all that in the first post).  Frank Klepacki himself confirmed for me a few weeks ago that the versions with vocals are how he intended the tracks to be.  The game producers decided that the vocals interfered with the speaking/commands in the game, so they had Frank remove them, and kept the originals as alternate/hidden tracks.  Unfortunately, the non-vocal versions in high quality do not exist anymore.  They were probably deleted after being added to the game in lower quality.

I never noticed much of a great difference between the in-game music and HD tracks. Maybe it's because the music is so funky and electronic already.

I personally notice a huge difference!  I uploaded a youtube video to compare the tracks side by side, so you can hear for yourself.  Rain in the night especially sounds different, with the original having so much feedback in it.

Comparison:

http://youtu.be/QVxx2a-WW2A

Redistributing the full version of Destructible Times is actually illegal... WW only got the rights to that slightly shortened version.

Yes, the menu and victory themes were obtained from there.

Huh? Those are on the Saturn CD. Unless you mean the Nod ones.

(I hope you downloaded the mp3s straight from the streaming source instead of recording it off the site?  :P)

Redistributing the full version of Destructible Times is actually illegal...

Good point.  I'll remove it right now.

Huh? Those are on the Saturn CD. Unless you mean the Nod ones.

(I hope you downloaded the mp3s straight from the streaming source instead of recording it off the site?  :P)

Yes.  :P

You don't? Huh. You're missing out, man :P

I actually bought the Japanese Sega Saturn version on ebay, because I wanted the official Japanese dubbed videos, and the Sega Saturn version has them in vqa format, meaning they can be used on PC without any conversion.

But if you just want the music... here ya go. Ripped straight from the disks, in flac format.

[links removed; no longer valid]

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Also, did you check Kelpacki's Youtube channel? He also has an 38-track playlist for C&C1 on this website:

http://www.frankklepacki.com/portfolio/game-CnC.html

I'm kind of a noob to this franchise (haven't tried playing C&C since I was a kid), but why are some of the tracks there not available to buy on iTunes? Heck, I can't find downloads of all 38 tracks that I can listen to anywhere, am I just dumb or looking in the wrong places?

Because some of those tracks, like "Demolition" are great but I can barely find them available for download anywhere. This has me really confused. :S

• 1 month later...

Due to the fact that I have ripped all music from all the different versions of the first two games plus expansions from their original game media of PC, Sega Saturn and PSX, together with the soundtrack CDs it is safe to say that I should have almost all source files in high quality as far as is goes.

There are a few songs that - however - you managed to obtain in stereo that I just could not locate in ANY game media.

Let me give you an example:

Due to the fact that I have ripped all the diff. system versions of CnC and RA, I now also, as well as you have several higher res. version of songs that were only in Mono in the PC version. For example, the Sega Saturn and PSX versions of Tiberian Dawn have Redbook Audio and XA audio tracks used for some songs, making them higher quality and stereo as compared to the PC counterpart.

But this is not true for all tracks. The track "Demolition" from Tiberian Dawn in NOWHERE TO BE FOUND except in the PC version. It is not used/present in the game data of the PSX version, nor is it used/present in the SSaturn game data. it is ONLY USED in the PC-version. Neither is it featured on the Soundtrack CD.

Therefore, the only version I have is the one ripped from the Tiberian Dawn PC game and is in 22.05 kHz mono.

You, however have EVERY song in the pack as stereo so I was wondering where you aquired the stereo versions for these few tracks that were only as mono versions present in the PC game and not only hte soundtrack CD as well. I hope you understood what I meant. Even ripping ALL games from EVERY SYSTEM, also checking the soundtrack CDs, I am still missing some stereo version that you, curiously enough, DID FIND somewhere...

I would be happy for an info where you ripped/aquired them or to get the lossless versions of these source files...

Thanks in advance.

jaZz_KCS