COMMAND & CONQUER: TIBERIAN DAWN
There are some compatibility issues with certain drivers and
hardware devices that can be easily solved by reading the
information located here. If you don't see something on this list, check
with our general list of questions instead, or write us mail and we'll try to get
back to you within 24 hours.
Installation with 8 megabytes of memory.
- If you only have 8 megabytes in your machine, you may need to make
some modifications to allow C&C to run on the desktop. Below is a
step-by-step instruction manual for beginners to make the necessary
- Go to the START/SETTINGS/TASKBAR menu.
- Click the START MENU PROGRAMS tab, then click the
- You will see an Explorer window. Click on the plus sign
to the left of the PROGRAMS folder. Notice that you get
a list of sub-folders.
- Click on the WESTWOOD folder. On the left you will see a
list of programs.
- Right click on the C&C icon. Chose PROPERTIES from the menu.
- Click on the MEMORY tab.
- Look for the section that says EXPANDED (EMS) MEMORY. It
should have Auto in the window. Click the arrow next to the
Auto and scroll down until you see NONE. Click this.
- Look for the section that says MSDOS PROTECTED MODE (DPMI)
MEMORY. It should have Auto in the window. Click the arrow
next to the Auto and scroll down until you see 16384. Click
- Hit OK, then click the X in the upper right corner of the
Explorer window, then click OK on the Taskbar Properties
- Start the game normally.
Improving Windows 95
- The performance of C&C in a Windows 95 DOS box is slightly slower
a real DOS environment. You can improve movie playback performance by
following these step-by-step instructions.
- Go to the START/SETTINGS/TASKBAR menu.
- Double-click on the SYSTEM icon.
- Click the PERFORMANCE tab, then click the FILE SYSTEM
- Click the CD-ROM tab.
- You will see a slider labeled SUPPLEMENTAL CACHE SIZE. Move
the slider all the way to the right. Remember however that
increasing your cache size reduces the memory available to
the rest of the system while in Windows.
- Next, look for a window labeled OPTIMIZE ACCESS PATTERN
FOR: In the window, choose the one that best describes your
CD drive (single, double, triple, quad and higher speed
- Click the APPLY button. You will get a window asking you to
restart your machine. Do so.
- Once you have restarted, run the game normally. This should
also increase the performance of any other CD title you have.
Modem codes for
Windows Command & Conquer.
- As detailed in the manual, we seem to get best modem performance with
modem data-compression and error-correction turned off. You can do this
by going to the serial game settings dialog and entering the appropriate
init. string for your modem. This should be entered on the host
(dialing) machine, the guest (receiver) should use ATZ. If you use these
init. strings the modem speed may have to be set to the exact speed of
your modem, for example 14,400 bps or 28800 bps. Here are example init.
strings for some popular modems:
Modem Init. String
US ROBOTICS SPORTSTER 9600/14400/28800 . . . AT&M0&K0
DIGICOM SCOUT 288VFCi . . . . . . . . . . . AT\N1
BEST DATA SMART ONE 14400 . . . . . . . . . AT\N1
HAYES ACCURA 28800 . . . . . . . . . . . . . AT&Q0
SUPRA 14400 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AT\N1
PRACTICAL 14400 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AT&Q0
ZOOM 28800 . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . AT&Q0
If you know of a modem initialization string that works for you and is
not listed above, please let us know! We'll add your modem to our list.
Modem support under
- If you find that you have trouble connecting during modem play, or
get sync errors when you connect, there are a few things you can do to
solve this problem:
- Check to see that the port setting in Windows 95 is correct for your
modem. Windows defaults to 9600 baud. You will want to change the
default baud rate to 57600. To do this:
- Click on
- Double click the SYSTEM icon, click the DEVICE MANAGER
- Click the plus sign next to the PORTS listing. Double-
click on the right COMM port for your modem.
- Click the PORT SETTINGS tab. The window at the top
(BITS PER SECOND) is the baud rate for the port. Set
this for 57600 baud.
- Click OK twice to close both windows. You may have to
- Make sure the error correction and compression on your modem is
turned OFF. Check the README file that came with Command and Conquer or
this document for a list of Modem initialization strings that will
accomplish this (copy the initialization string for your modem in the
README file to the init string box in the modem setup screen.) If your
modem is not listed in the README, you will need to check your modem
manual or call the manufacturer for your modem to see how to do
- If you simply cannot get Command and Conquer to connect correctly in
Windows 95, reboot to DOS mode and re-run the game. Be sure that your
sound card and CD-ROM drivers are loading in DOS.
error when installing.
- This error is a result of an incompatible or older mouse driver which
is installed in your system. You have two ways to fix
- You may unload your mouse driver, and complete the
installation. After C&C is installed, reload your mouse driver normally
and run the game. Only the install program is incompatible with older
- You can download the newest mouse driver from the manufacturer.
Because there are hundreds of mouse manufacturers, you cannot download
the drivers from Westwood Studios. The manual or driver software you
have should point you to a place where you can order or download the
shifted screen colors appear when playing.
- A few video cards (like the Diamond Viper) require a little extra
support in Command & Conquer. To add this support, download the
Command & Conquer patch and install it according to instructions contained within
the self extracting file.
Unable to set
modem speed to 14,400 or 28,800.
- Modems from US ROBOTICS require just a little bit of special support
for Command & Conquer. In version 1.07 of Command & Conquer, it is not
possible to set your modem speed to 14,400 or 28,800 if you have a US
ROBOTICS modem. We suggest that you either set your modem speed to
19,200 or download
the Command & Conquer patch file.
cutscenes or briefings.
- There is a bug in the game that prevents cutscenes from being played
after the CD is changed. This is easy to fix by simply starting the
game with the correct CD in the CD-ROM drive. So, if you are playing
the NOD missions, start the game with the 2nd CD-ROM. If you are
playing GDI, start with the 1st CD-ROM instead.
You can also download
the Command & Conquer patch, which fixes this problem.
Conquer says it can't find your modem.
In most cases, this problem is limited to Windows or Windows 95.
game to the newest version (see the web site www.westwood.com) will
usually fix the problem. Otherwise, check the following: 1. If you have
a Plug and Play modem (PnP) you will need to make sure the DOS drivers for
the modem are loaded. Even though you are playing C&C through Windows, it
is still a DOS game, and uses DOS to check for your modem connection. 2.
If you have a WinModem, you will not be able to use it to play C&C.
Again, because C&C is DOS based, it checks through DOS for your modem
connection. WinModems do not support DOS programs or connections. 3.
PCMCIA modems work similar to one of the above, depending on what brand
and model you have. Check with the modem manufacturer to be sure.
© 1995, 1996,
1997 Westwood Studios - All Rights Reserved.